How to Use Mel Robbins' 5,4,3,2,1 Strategy to Write Your Family Memoir Faster
It can be tough to find time to write your family memoir.
- You may have a full-time job, young children, or other responsibilities that keep you from sitting down and writing for extended periods of time.
- And when you do have a free moment, it can be hard to get started.
- I understand.
It took me two years to write and publish my first family memoir.
But, it doesn't have to be that way for you.
That's where the 5,4,3,2,1 strategy comes in.
Mel Robbins has a Winning Strategy
The 5,4,3,2,1 strategy, developed by Mel Robbins, is designed to help you overcome your resistance to taking action.
- When you're feeling stuck, all you need to do is count backward from 5 and then take action on the first thing that comes to mind.
- For example, if you're having trouble getting started on your memoir, you might say to yourself "5...4...3...2...1...
I'm going to set a timer for 15 minutes and start writing."
Try Using the Pomodoro Technique
Working in bursts of 25 minute intervals is going to give you so much momentum to help you make progress on your writing project.
Download a Pomodoro Tracker Checklist HERE for $3.00 and start using it today.
You will be a amazed how much this strategy can change your life.
How the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Strategy Works
The 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 strategy works by giving you a specific plan of action to follow when you're feeling stuck.
By counting backward from 5 and then taking action on the first thing that comes to mind, you prime your brain to take action and override any resistance or procrastination.
The beauty of this strategy is that it can be used for anything—not just writing your memoir.
- If you're struggling to exercise more regularly, you could say "5...4...3...2...1...I'm going to put on my sneakers and go for a walk around the block."
- Or if you're having trouble eating healthy meals, you could say "5...4...3...2...1...I'm going to make myself a salad for lunch."
The sky's the limit!
The only requirement is that the action you take is something that moves you closer to your goal.
DOWNLOAD the Pomodoro Printable below.
It's only $3.00 and will help you stay on target and finish your writing project faster.
Try Using a Timer for Your Next Writing Session
One great way to use the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 strategy is by setting a timer for your next writing session.
- This will help you stay focused and prevent yourself from getting too bogged down in perfectionism.
- Simply set a timer for 15-30 minutes and start writing.
- Once the timer goes off, take a break—stretch your legs, grab a drink of water—and then start again.
You'll be amazed at how much progress you can make in short bursts of focused writing!
- And over time, those 15-minute sessions will add up and before you know it, you'll have written your family memoir.
- The 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 strategy is a great way to overcome procrastination and get started on writing your family memoir.
- By counting backward from 5 and then taking action on the first thing that comes to mind, you prime your brain to take action and override any resistance or procrastination.
Try using this strategy next time you sit down and open up Microsoft Word and see how much progress you can make!
Download my FREE GUIDE below to help you get started!
Grab the FREE GUIDE
5 Steps to Publishing Your Family History... in the shortest possible time!